Friday, March 7, 2008

Mornings....and Memories

ok, I would like to know who decided school had to start so early??? i AM NOT a morning person!!! Wouldnt it be nice to get up around 9ish, have a nice leisurly breakfast, then get the kids ready for school? Let's face it, people are more awake and more productive later in the day, am i right? or it is just me???? I always tell people, that i get more done after 10pm than the army gets done before 6am (or whatever that slogan was). LOL

It's 7:45am now and i'm still in that wake up daze...(you know eyes half closed, my brain still on auto pilot and still thinking my bed might still be warm...i could just crawl in for another hour or so...) The kids are off to school, husband is off to work and i am sitting here nursing my 2nd cup of coffee...

Memories.....

Yesterday, I decided to pick up my youngest "Scoot" because she HATES riding the bus alone, the older two had activities after school, so I waited in the mess of traffic and parked cars to try to get a space...had to park a block away, but I was given 20 minutes of personal time, which i take whenever i can get it...i continued reading my book in total silence...I never used to care about "alone" time, that is, until i had kids...I wouldnt trade them for anything in the world...but that quiet time is so peaceful.

By the way...I recommend the book i'm reading "The Sunday List of Dreams" by Kris Radish...I stumbled upon her first book "Annie B Freeman's Fablous traveling funeral", at Borders one sunday afternoon while i was waiting for something i dont even remember. But it is how I hope to leave this world...check it out! It is so wonderful...I hope to have 5 friends like Annie did...and the funds to plan her own traveling funeral, One day, many many moons from now...:)
Other's by Radish are: "Dancing Naked at the Edge of Dawn" and "the Elegant gathering of the white snows" They are wonderful books...you should check them out.

Anyway, back to the pickup at school..I read for a little while and then walked to the front of the school to wait for my dear daughter...she didnt come out with the masses at first, so i began to wonder where she might be, and as i entered the school, i looked down the hall and it was like one of those hallmark card moments, when the two make eye contact and run into each others arms...she ran to me, jumped up and as loud as she could..."I got green mama!!!!!!!!" Talk about memories.....wow!!! I felt like the world could end right then and i would go happy :)

To explain, her teacher (who is INCREDIBLE) has in place a stop light behavior chart, with green (good), yellow (uh oh), orange (OOPS, i did it again) and red (march your happy butt to the principal's office) or at least that's my description. It is a good system, except for gabbers like Scoot and myself. (on a personal note, I was always in the hallway, missing recess, whatever because i could not keep my mouth shut...) and my daughter, as i said before, is me in everyway...so how I could i expect anything less:) in the grand scheme of things...she'll be fine...right now, it's just something she needs to keep working on...

Anyway, when she gets a green, we are thrilled!!! and to add to the exictement, she passed her timed math facts test that she had been struggling with, SOOOOOO....we of course have to celebrate in an inexpensive but meaningful way...we had about 45 minutes until the next child needed to be picked up, so we headed to Walmart (we actually call it "evil mart" but anyway......she was allowed to pick out one thing (small) so she choose, some sour spray (i completely dont get this one...but the kids love it...) and of course, i was so thrilled with her successes, i gave in and made it TWO THINGS, (whatever, so sue me) and some tatoo gum that turns your entire mouth bright blue...(hey, whatever trips your trigger), anyway, then we headed to the dollar store..I must say, I LOVE THIS PLACE!!! ok, so most of it is junk, but it saves my wallet and make the kid happy...so what the heck! We looked around "window shopped" and ran across the MOST INCREDIBLE TOY IN THE WORLD...ok, according to me...but i loved it. Do you rememebr the toy that had the metal bars evenly spaced hooked to a handle and the magnetic wheel that if you moved it forward and back it seemed to float on the wire? anyway, being little, she had never seen one...so of course we had to get it...ok it was only $2 and came with candy...what a deal right? this was the dollar store's version of the old favorite...it had a bunny instead of a wheel, but whatever. Anyway, By the time we pick up the rest of the family, its a mad dash to see who gets it first...a simple $2 toy brought so much fun to a household for one evening. It's the simple things right?

A wonderful evening...and all for $3.95! Something to be said for simplicity!

1 comment:

~Lisa~ said...

I'm confused. I thought everything was a dollar at the dollar store.